Saturday, February 12, 2011

Snow much fun!

Wow, time really does fly when you are having fun. Or if you have 2 active kids and loads of school and social commitments. My mom told me that she was never as busy as I am, which is hard to believe when I only have 2 kids and she had 4! Still, my life is an endless stream of long to-do lists, school functions, birthday parties and sports. It's all fun and exhausting. And we are loving every minute of it.

This month we have added to our to-do list by putting our house on the market which means I am constantly cleaning. Really, I am not complaining. My house looks amazing. I wish we had this motivation years ago. Everything is painted and the carpets are cleaned. I bought new towels and we had the back door replaced. We rented a storage unit so we could really de-clutter and have found we like living with less. With less there is less to clean up. It is a wonderful bonus!

Check out our beautiful abode: http://www.har.com/13300478


Unfortunately, all this fun has made blogging take a back seat. So much for that promise. HA!

Well, in early January we did indeed make it up to BC. Man, we were in for a wonderful treat...SNOW! Up until that point it had been a mild winter in Texas and we were jonesin' for some real winter weather. It was a whirlwind trip, but we got in a day of sledding and made a snowman. The girls are still gushing about the thrills of sledding. 4 days is not nearly enough time to catch up with the fam, not to mention friends. We have our fingers crossed we will be driving up again this summer!


It had been a few years since we had flown on an airplane. I think the last time was THE time almost 2 year old Sydney screamed the whole 4 1/2 hour flight from Houston to Seattle. When we finally met up with my parents at baggage claim amid the icy glares of fellow passengers I announced that I would never get on a plane with her again. I have to admit, I did threaten her this time that if she cried at all on the airplane she would not fly again until she was an adult. In the end though, time heals all wounds and age really helps too. We all did great! Sydney was a hit on the plane with all her antics. She was remarking on every bump, turn, landing, and sound. The pilot asked them when we boarded if they would like to go upside down. Of course, they WOULD like to go upside down! When the plane turned to correct its course, she yelled above the din that we were indeed going to go upside down. I am thankful to the other passengers that they did not find her annoying and laughed along with me. Juliane was at times mortified at her sisters commentary, but that just made it all the more funny.

I have to relay one other story because it is too priceless not to share. Because of all the hype over the airport body scanners and knowing that Sydney can be sensitive to new things, I decided to prepare her for passing through security. Together, we  went on the TSA website where they have several helpful videos for kids to make the metal detectors and scanners less intimidating. Sydney asked me, "Why do I have to go through a metal detector?" And because I don't hid enough from my children told her, "well, they have to make sure people don't bring knives or scissors onto the airplane because those are dangerous." She accepted this tid-bit of information and had no further questions. The next day off to IAH we go. We get in the line for security and the girls helpfully take off their shoes and get bins for their bags. They pass through the metal detectors and when we get to the other side Sydney in her "better-make-sure-I'm-heard" voice says, "See Mommy, I didn't make that thing beep because I don't carry knives!" Nice. :) I am sure I am not the only parent whose child has said something like that...I hope.








No comments:

Post a Comment