Friday, May 21, 2010

Wichita, KS to Denver, CO

Wow. I don't even know where to begin. We have put some serious miles between Denver and home. Over 1100, in fact.

Kansas is beautiful. Vast and spacious. So far it is the cleanest state I've been to. From rolling hills to endless plains, wind farms to buffalo ranches. It was what I expected and yet so much more. Tornado Alley only produced sunshine, friendly people, sweeping winds and the occasional tumbleweed.

Now we are well into Colorado. Sunny bright blue skys with fluffy high clouds. In the distance we can make out the Rocky Mountains, which will be our home over the next 2 days of travel. In a way we won't really leave their majestic peaks for a whole month as they will be in our sights for awhile.

Many of you have wondered how the girls have been faring. They have been real troopers. I guess most people wouldn't take their preschoolers on such a long journey, and if you asked me a year ago I would have laughed and said, "no way!" This adventure began months ago when we first decided to take this trip. The girls have been researching along with me and so have a sense of the distance and the sights we would see. They have been journaling by drawing pictures of the sights they've seen: the wind turbines, buffalo and rolling plains today for example. I will admit we've had a few moments (1 each day) where a certain someone was not at her best...but we recovered and won't let that ruin the adventure.

So onto the mile high city, where the swimming pool and dinner await!

No comments:

Post a Comment